welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Yoga Week! - Let's Twist Again

The Pose: Seated Spinal Twist

How Its Done:
You begin crossing one leg flat (left) out in front of you. The next step is bend the opposite leg (right) at the knee and cross over the flat leg. The bent knee should reach toward your opposite hip. The arms will then support and tighten your form. Now the right knee is bent and you rest your left elbow on the outer side of the knee at a 90 degree angle. The right hand goes on the floor, on your right side and behind your body. You turn your torso and head toward the right also. It resembles what I like to call a "reclined Cleopatra."

What I Learned:
Sometimes when I do twists, I feel my body caving in to get more of a twist. This is the exact opposite of what you are supposed to do to make a twist work! The key to making this pose work is to keep youe body open. Your shoulders  need to be open (think shoulder blades touching). In order to keep the form and strong stomach,  I realized I need to keep my flutes (butt cheeks) flat against the floor. This will establish a stronger base and help you twist much further.

No comments:

Post a Comment