welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Note About Fall Music I Can't Stop Spinning: Taylor Swift

CD: Taylor Swift: Speak Now
RELEASE: October 25th

Taylor Swift's new album SPEAK NOW has blown up. I'm happy with most of the tracks, but at the same time, I feel TS is a little TOO. TOO everywhere, TOO vengeful, TOO singing the love-or in this case- unlove song. Still, Speak Now is off to a solid start.

Most Addictive Song: The Story of Us
Reminiscent of FEARLESS track Forever and Always, this is the album's quintessential "time to breakup but not dwell and mope" song. It's got power and it could easily be the breakup of a love or a friendship. It emcompasses the discomfort of awkward situations, plus has verbal cues to move each "chapter" of the song along.

Bubbly Love Song: Sparks Fly
"Drop everything now, meet me in the pouring rain.." and fall in love with this song, which reminds me of the sweet Hey Stephen and passion of The Way I Loved You from Swift's FEARLESS.

Sweetest Song: Mine
It's already broken as a huge hit, and yes I do agree with the EW bullseye that Mine is very TS-"being together even though I've been hurt by love before," I cannot stop listening to it. It has a great pace, a sweet message, and its' secretly what all girls dream about (finding that guy that says he'll make all the sadness go away).

Song I Listen to to Contemplate: Dear John
Not sure what this is all about...

Best Revenge Song: Revenge
Who can compete with this "She's evil and you shouldn't be with her" rock song that has intensely catchy lyrics like "She's better known for the things that she's done on the mattress." Plus, the opening line where TS instructs the girl to go sit in the corner and think about what she's done is Pat Benetar-level badass.

Song That Sounds Like Another Song: Speak Now
Now this song sounds so familiar, I could have sworn it was called You Belong with Me, except we've moved from high school to the real world. And there's wedding that must be stopped. This song also wins honorable mentions for the Song I Could Pass On award for the reason above.

Song I Could Pass On: Innocent
I get it, Kanye is finally forgiven. But this song is so somber it has no magic of excitement that makes a Taylor song a TAYLOR song.

No comments:

Post a Comment