welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Beauty Tuesday: It's Called A Spoolie- Eye Makeup for Beginners

     In my many years experimenting with makeup, I haven't come close to perfecting eye makeup. Mainly, I have a jagged hand when it comes to eyeliner (thank got for liquid versions). Furthermore, I cannot get my eyes to 'pop' with mascara. On an average weekday, I wear the next best thing to mascara, tinted lash primer. When I go  out, I attempt to 'do it up' with my eyes and make them stand out despite having smaller eyelids. Sometimes I'm lucky, the eyelash curler curls and spoolie brush coats easily. When we throw brows into the mix, my sparse eyebrows may get an even coloring.


via GIPHY
   
    THE CHALLENGE:
 Here is my main problem. The majority of the time, it looks like I have the Minnie Mouse-like three eyelashes. I used to have a hat with Minnie's face where the lashes popped out like the above image. I'm a low maintenance girl when it comes to eye makeup. As long as it looks like I have lashes and they are not the color of my foundation, I let it go. Recently I tried to take it up a level and wear mascara during the day AND night. This was a bold choice because I am always touching my eyes and adjusting my contacts. 

Upping my subtle eye game. (C)PipPepPop
THE RESULTS: 
     Over the course of a week, I attend a concert, a holiday party, a work lunch, a chiropractor appointment (face-down). I also applied my makeup at the gym after working out. I dropped the spoolie wand of my tinted eyelash primer after doing one eye. I rinsed the brush with soap and finished the second eye, then promptly threw out the near-empty bottle because it touched the gym locker room floor and I'm a germaphobe). Overall, the experiment went okay. I wouldn't be able to keep this up on a normal basis, but I like to think I looked a little more awake. I also had to trudge through cleaning my eyelids with 3-4 micellar* water-soaked cotton swabs, after first treating the eye area with a makeup remover wipe. One night, I got so bored/tired of wiping off my eyes that I went to bed with a vague raccoon eye. I also learned a valuable lesson that not all eyeliners (NYX Vinyl Liquid Liner) are created equal when it comes to removing the product.

I'll keep updating my mascara prowess over the next few months. Cheers and may your shimmer eyeshadow not shatter inside its case! (True story)

*Micellar water is 'the bomb.com.' I know this phrase is still relevant because my friend used it the other day. It's a french-inspired product with little balls of cleansing oil suspended in water. You can shake it like a Polaroid picture (or a vinaigrette dressing) to activate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment