welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Note: A Battle of the 1999 Teen Comedies

Oh the 90s, you were so full of life, and full of wonderfully rich teen comedies. On this wave of nostalgia, I've compiled a little compare-and-contrast about three of the top teen rom-coms of 1999: 10 Things I Hate About You, She's All That, and Drive Me Crazy.


Final comparison, Scene-ending lines:

10 Things: I'm hip, I'm down, I've got the 411. And I'm not letting you go out and get jiggy with some guy, I don't care how dope his ride is. My mama didn't raise no fool. -- Mr. Stratford (Larry Miller), when Bianca (Larissa Oleynik) asks to go out on a date.

SAT: Am I a bet? Am I a stupid bet? -- Laney (RLC) to Zack after dean purposely blabs about their bet to turn her into the prom queen.

Drive Me: Nicole (MJH): Who are we making jealous now? Chase (Adrian Grenier): Everyone. (End of the movie, when they reconcile on the dance floor).
NOTES:
* Dule Hill plays Gus on the USA show PSYCH. In his classic introduction during SAT, Dean (Paul Walker) says, "His dad owns Harrison Ford. The car dealership." Honorable mention went to Matthew Lillard as a castoff of The Real World.

Drive Me Crazy Trailer (No Dance Scenes available)
Link to Julia Stiles' 10 Things dance
Link to Matthew Lillard's She's All That dance
Link to She's All That prom dance ^

^I think this was choreographed by Wade Boggs or one of those guys that did a lot of work with N*SYNC at the time.) Keep an ear out for Usher's dance cues, "Split like the red sea!" This scene gave many people, including me, unrealistic expectations about school dances, unless you're attending the FAME high school. Still, I feel oddly nostalgic every time I hear Fatboy Slim's Rockefeller Skank.

No comments:

Post a Comment