welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Thank You Note to the CW

Dear CW,

We've had our aches and pains over the years. I've been working on forgiving you for the whole cancelling Buffy and Roswell and shifting them to UPN thing.

Although, I may never forgive you for the dreadful resurrection of 7th Heaven. The last three or four years of that show were a straight up joke.

I have to thank you personally for listening to the fans for once. Most importantly in regard to One Tree Hill. This show has really meant a lot to me. I've grown up with Nathan, Brooke, Lucas, Peyton, Haley, and the others in Tree Hill. We've graduated high school, went to college, and struggled into adulthood at the same time.

I was terrified that this constant in my life, this one bond, would be yanked from my life today with your 2010-2011 season announcement. Nobody thought One Tree Hill would live to see this September, most especially me. But I had a change of heart in the last week. I began to feel guilt for commenting a few weeks ago that I thought maybe it was time to end.

But, I braced for the worst. There's nothing I hate more than an unplanned series finale (see Angel's Not Fade Away), which would have happened with Monday night's possible double murder of two main characters. SPOILER- Clay AND Quinn get shot by that crazy tennis player Katie that wants Clay to be her agent/lover.

Now season 7 hasn't been the best with the departures of Chad Michael Murray and Hilarie Burton, but I've stuck with you. I've stuck with you through the five year jump, the murder of Uncle Keith, the birth of little Jamie, and I've continued to love and support the show.

But now one tree hill has the time, whether it be a half a season or a full season, to go out with dignity and grace. Not just tying up ends with tearful songs and long speeches.

It's going to take more than a trip to Utah for Haley to get over her depression and losing her mother. Mouth and Skills can't just go back to being bros overnight. Brooke and Julian can't just get engaged and ride off into the sunset. And have we ever seen the last of dan Scott? I think not.

Positive note: Brooke and her mother can finally get along. That part of the episode was nice and very necessary. One of these kids needs a stable parent in their life, especially since Karen moved on in season 5. And we need to see Lucas and Peyton one more time before the end, with their baby.

This show started about a group of brothers, begrudgingly becoming friends, and trying to find their place in the world. Let's bring it out the way we came in this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment