welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Sound-Off: I Can't Stand 'This is Us'

I'm sure this will be as popular as a denouncement of Hamilton on Broadway, but I am not a fan of This is Us. It's at best, emotional kryptonite, and at worst, an hour where you have to prepare to be massively depressed and disappointed.  It took me approximately six months to get through the last 4 episodes of the season. I've been on hiatus since Jack's post-Superbowl death episode. I think my main issue revolves around the Peterson children. I'm not a fan of all 3 of the younger kid or teen versions of the kids. Frankly, I kinda hate their adult selves too. I've had little sympathy for twins Kate and Kevin. They are so self-absorbed and co-dependent, it's sick. I've been over Kate's weight issues since episode 1 and Kevin is a borderline narcissist.  I find Randall and Beth's relationship nice, but sometimes his "I have to do everything" attitude tires me out. I know he's trying to save their adopted foster child, Dejia, but it seems to be at the expense of his other two kids. I like the young Rebecca and Jack courtship story. Maybe I can mash up all of those episodes together and watch that for season 3. Once they had kids, the Petersons got hella emotionally taxing. I find I have to be in a really crappy mood to watch the show, and then I'm find with being on the verge of crying for an hour. I'm not the only one. Social media has grown tired too per this Cosmopolitan article.

No comments:

Post a Comment