welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Golden Globes 2017- Fashion or Foe

     I have reviewed countless photos of outfits from last Sunday's Golden Globe Awards. I'm ready to review my picks for my favorite and least favorite outfits. We'll also review some trends for the 2017 season. To make our lives easier, please refer to the Refinery29 Golden Globes Photo Galley.

The Best:
Image from Giphy
5. Brie Larson in Rodarte
Last year's gold-carpet queen (and Golden Globe winner) shined in a fitted chiffony strapless gown. Even better, it was a sweetheart neckline, which I adore. It was a deep crimson, reminding me of last year's raved-about color of red. The most amazing part is the crisscross panels of sequins in the front of the dress. If this was a bridesmaid dress, or even remotely affordable, I would wear it in a heartbeat.

Image from Giphy
4. Millie Bobby Brown in Jenny Packham
I wish I had dressed like this for my junior prom! This 123-year-old star of Stranger Things was all-class in a Silver A-line cocktail dress. It had attachments that were very sparkly and she had a clean bob. Did you see her shoes? I love those silver Sophia Webster sandals and would wear them to a wedding. In fact, I own wedding sandals that look just like that...


Image from Giphy
3. Kristen Bell, also in Jenny Packham
Wow, Ms. Bell brings it in this tuxedo-like black dress. It is all sequins from the long sleeves to the hems with that gorgeous silky collar. She brought the girls out in this deep "U" dress. She balances the open top with a simple hairstyle and beautiful earrings. This look is a far cry from her ordinary look on The Good Place.





Image from Giphy
2. Emma Stone in Valentino
This tan dress with silver embellished stars remind me of my high school senior prom dress. I loved that dress and I love Valentino so I am all in. Sometimes, I'm afraid to wear something too close to my fair skin tone, but Ms. Stone pulls off the looks flawlessly. She also compliments with a beautiful teardrop choker. It's the very essence of LalaLand.


Image from Giphy
1. Felicity Huffman in Georges Chakra
The legendary actress wowed in American Crime Story this season as a tough school headmistress. I was shocked when I saw Ms. Huffman looking beyond glamorous in a jumpsuit that looked like a dress. The dress could have fit in at any disco or fancy party with the Gold/Silver V-necked top and flowy, white bottom. With a chic blowout, I'm granting Huffman the fashion award of the night.

Honorable Mentions go out to:
  • Viola Davis in Michael Kohrs
  • Drew Barrymore in Monique Lhullier
  • Amy Adams in Tom Ford (designer and director)

The Worst:
Image from Giphy
Tracee Ellis Ross in Zuhair Murad
     Ms. Ross left the show with a deserved best actress in a TV comedy trophy for Black-ish, but I kept thinking her dress looked like a birdcage. I love the top of the dress with the strapless neckline intricate beading. Also I'll give props, the dress was in this year's it color of White/Silver. But it's drawbacks included too sheer of a netting on the bottom of the dress. It was distracting. If the bottom flared out more, I could be on board.

Image from ReBloggy
Michelle Williams in Louis Vuitton
     I like lace just as the next gal, but not when it's done like this. The top of the dress had a lace corset AND off-the-shoulder pieces to give a "cold shoulder" look. The simple piece of ribbon tied around Williams' neck seems like it's missing a pendant. The lace has a black under layer that makes it look more like a coat than a dress. If it flared out and ended at a tea-length to cocktail-length, I might like it better, but I'm calling a miss.






Trends for 2016:
  • White/Silver colors : An Ode to Winter 
  • Bringing "the girls" out
  • "V" There:  Jennifer Lopez once wore a dress that had a V of cleavage down to her bellybutton. Nothing was quite as deep, but actresses such as Jessica Biel and Gina Rodriquez brought their A-game to a deep V top. 
  • Visible Legs in a long dress:  I have often heard, a woman can show cleavage or a little leg, but not both. Many actresses such as Kristen Wiig had cutouts or sheer columns in their dresses that showed a bit of leg in a classy way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment