welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Consumer Frustration


 Thanks to Memegenerator for the image. 
     I'm not the type of girl to badmouth a brand, so I will refer to the brand as "the company." Somehow I ended up on the company's e-mail list earlier this year. I suspect it might be from signing up for an online contest they sponsored. Here is a word to the wise: read before your opt in for anything. As part of these check-mark boxes,  as you are probably agreeing to receive e-mails you don't want or need. I realized during the summer I was more likely to pick up their products in a local store and would not need to order from their website. Therefore, I unsubscribed from their e-mails.

     But, apparently I was not unsubscribed. The direct word UNSUBSCRIBE on the e-mail did not bring me to a new page or a confirmation like all of the other websites and newsletters I've unsubscribed from in the last few months. The e-mail blinked blue for a second, then returned to normal. I would describe it as like clicking on a giant button that turned out to be just a picture of the word UNSUBSCRIBE. Naturally, I e-mailed the company and asked them to take me off their list via their customer service e-mail. I got a response back that this was an issue they could not address, and I would have to call them to get myself taken off their e-mails. Just between us readers, I found it ridiculous that I had to call someone to ask them to stop e-mailing me. E-mail was invented to make calls less necessary! I decided I would just delete the e-mails when they came in, but I was still getting one every day or two.

     Finally, I had enough. I called the company today.  The very sweet and thorough rep and I were on the phone for almost 25 minutes explaining the simple situation. (I was getting e-mail I did not want. I could not make it stop. The e-mail customer service said it was beyond their control.) By the end of the phone call, I had told the rep more information that I would tell a first date. Let's keep put fingers crossed I'm one e-mail less by next week.I am aware these are first world problems, but  they are still annoying.
   
     How much "junk" e-mail can I be expected to sift through each day? It's bad enough I get physical junk mail and unsolicited phone calls, but let's all agree we should be able to control who e-mails us!

1 comment: