welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

I Came Here to... Make a Scene

     Blake Shelton's recent performance at the ACM Awards left me wondering whaaaat?

     I'll be the first to admit, I like the musical styling of Blake Shelton.  I really want to like The Voice too, but I find it difficult to devote two hours in one night to a singing competition show. When it comes to choosing a side in Blake and Miranda Lambert's split, I am completely on #TeamMiranda. I liked Blake's new squeeze Gwen Stefani in the past, but I formally at odds in this situation. It's driven a lot of conversation at my book club.

     Allegedly, Blake and Gwen became friends on The Voice and things heated up in December after Gwen left "cheating" husband Gavin Rossdale.  Miranda and Blake also amicably called it quits around the same time. Possibly it was from all of the negative press surrounding their relationship from the beginning. We've all taken some time to heal and with spring being sprung, B & G have been out and about, taking in Grammy after parties and Oscar parties as a pair. So what changed at the Academy of Country Music Awards?  Blake was not asked back co-host the event with Luke Bryan this year, and squeaky-clean and sexy dad Dierks Bentley was called up to the big leagues. Blake still managed to walk out and crash Luke's party for his show-opening performance of  Huntin' Fishin' and Lovin' Everyday despite cameras hovering on Dierks Backstage, preparing to join Luke on stage.

     Soon after, Blake too the stage to debut his new song Came Here to Forget. This song more or less says "I'm getting over her, you're getting over him etc..." and is a slow-burning kiss-off song. Blake performed the song in the presence of his ex-wife with a cool camera effect, showing Blake in a totally black-and-white image. It's all very meta here and frankly I thought it was finally a statement on the state of affairs. Blake is saying here that he is totally over Miranda...and poor Miranda came here to be honored with some trophies, not to be insulted by her ex. It came off as rude.

4/19 UPDATED: Blake and Gwen will release a new duet Go Ahead and Break My Heart on his upcoming album, If I'm Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment