welcome

More than you ever wanted to know about movies, TV shows, popular culture, and music.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

2016 AMA Post-Performance Recap

     There were many great (Luke Bryan and  Little Big Town's Karen Fairchild trading verses) and many odd (Megan Trainor and Charlie Puth trading saliva) performances at this year's American Music Awards, and no, I'm not talking about Jennie Garth's odd "I'm not sure what I'm doing here, but I'm such a nerd and I'm married to a musician" act.

    No,  I'm also not talking about Jennifer Lopez's nostalgic dance through the songs of 2016, or Celine Dion's gorgeous tribute to France, or the Pentatonix giving a vocal tribute to Star Wars.

     Somewhere in between all of that was the true standout performance of Alanis Morissette and Demi Lovato singing Alanis M's 1995 angsty girl hit, You Oughta Know. I'm very convinced (mostly by Dave Coulier from Full House) that song is about him. As we now know Carly Simon's You're So Vain is about Warren Beatty, it's only a matter of time before this mystery is unraveled).

     The reason this performance was so bizzare it led me to ask, did they know they were singing the same song? Alanis started singing onstage alone, looking great 20 years later. Then Demi answered after a little while, and they continued to cross the stage, passing each other, never acknowledging that the other one was onstage, making eye contact or singing the song with each other. See below.




No comments:

Post a Comment